ARCHES OIL PAPER
I love this paper, seriously, it helped transform my practice and work.
Why? Two main reasons, affordability and almost smooth surface texture, and it’s archival. Ok, so that’s three!
Firstly, let me clarify one thing I get asked about this paper a lot. Which side can you use? Unlike a lot of oil painting papers on the market, the paper is internally sized so the good news is it can be used either side. This gives you a choice in the texture of the surface you want to paint on. One side (the back) is slightly more smooth than the other and this is the side I use when completing more realistic, smooth paintings.
Arches Oil Paper Pro’s
- value for money at only about £1.00 per sheet for the 9″x12″ sheet
- is available in 2 blocks, 9″x12″ and 12″x16″ as well as being able to buy it in an imperial sheet size of 11″x15″ you can also buy it in huge rolls 1.3 x 9.15m for better economy and large works
- lightweight so significantly cheaper to ship to clients
- no need for priming
- lightweight and portable for en plein air (painting outdoors)
- suitable for mixed media work
- easy to store, no bulky canvas to take up precious studio space
- 100% cotton
- acid free, with no optical brightening
Here’s another reason why i love it, it can take a bit of a beating. The portrait on the left is an experimental work, involving building an image only to scrape it back, pour thinners on it and attacked it (creatively) with sandpaper once the paint is thoroughly dry – all in a search for interesting marks and abstracted expression.
I really didn’t hold back on this and not once did I have to stop for fear of damaging the paper. It’s not indestructible but I’m yet to get to that point when I fear for it’s life.
I buy mine from Jackson’s Art supplies, although its widely available in most good art supplies stores online.
Jackson Art Discount
All new accounts opened using the link below – get 10% off your first order. Check it out:
Jacksons Art Supplies
If you want further information you can check out the Arches website or have a look at other artists work in their gallery. Arches Oil Paper Gallery
This Post contains affiliate marketing links.